Thursday, May 29, 2008

I'm feeling strangely disabled...

In the mail yesterday was the Social Security breakdown all us working stiffs get from time to time.  It outlines how much we've contributed and the amounts we would receive should certain SS-related life events occur.  Here's where I'm confused and my moral conflict arises... If I continue to work hard like a busy little bee until I'm 62 years old, I will receive $831 a month from SS when I retire.  However, if I was to become disabled right now, I would receive $973 a month.  So you see my dilemma... Frankly, at this point, my only decision is - mental breakdown or nondescript back problems.  Alright, maybe not.  I would have to live with myself as a liar and cheater.  And there's the whole Christian aspect of cheating the government.  And the social implications when people find out your "disabled" and collecting SS.  But still... It's tempting!

No comments: