Thursday, May 29, 2008

That's my girl...

I have another moral issue to contend with this morning. Cassidy brought home a spelling test from school that had a note attached from her teacher. I saw that she was upset and embarrassed about whatever had prompted the note home, so I decided to read it now after Robert and the kids had already left for school. It shows a half-written attempt at the word "dictionary" and a sad face with the note explaining that Cassidy had looked up at the class dictionary during the test to find out how to spell it. The sad face was her teacher's way of showing her obvious disappointment in my child's attempt at cheating on the spelling test. Now for the moral dilemma... should I also shame her and extoll to Cassidy the weightiness of her decision to cheat on this test? Or should I be proud at the fact that my child was resourceful enough to look at the very object she was asked to spell, therefore showing that she may be more logical and have a bit more common sense than some of the other 2nd graders taking the test? Which leads me to more questions... Did her teacher realize that she was asking the class to spell an object that was located in the room - therefore setting them up for cheating? Was she just waiting for them to fail so she could teach them a hard life lesson? Was this a moral experiment as well as a spelling test? Was Cassidy the only 2nd grader to look at the giant dictionary with the word 'dictionary' printed down its spine? If so - is it wrong that I AM proud? Did Cassidy know that that would constitute cheating, or did she think she was being smart or resourceful? Am I over-thinking this issue because I'm trying to stall off going to work because I really just want to start collecting disability? Should Clinton drop out of the race? Are the recent global catastrophes precursors to an impending rapture? Ok... my mind is swirling with blog topics... I should go to work now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

High five, then time out. Do it!